The Philadelphia Barge Club was formed in 1862 (until 1865, the club operated under the name “Panola Barge Club”). It originally shared the boathouse of the Pennsylvania Barge Club, until it was able to purchase the boathouse of the National Boat Club in 1864. In 1870, the club moved into a newly constructed boathouse, which it shared with the University Barge Club. The Anchorage House was built in 1887 as an upriver house for the Philadelphia Barge Club. The club’s flag (crimson chevron on white) was adopted in 1870. The club was absorbed by the University Barge Club in the 1930s.
Records of the Philadelphia Barge Club include minutes of general and elective committee meetings, logbooks and registers from the club’s auxiliary house, “The Anchorage.” The minute books record information about membership, dues and activities. The logbooks record information about boating excursions, such as the name of the boat, the crew, destination, time, visitors and remarks about accidents and boat performance. The registers from The Anchorage typically include lists of names of rowers and menus for social events, and are illustrated with sketches.
- Rowing clubs–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia
- Membership lists