In 1940, Leroy M. Robinson (president), George R. Taylor (Vice-president), and John P. Carson (secretary and treasurer) formed RTC Shipbuilding Company in Camden, New Jersey. All three men were former executives at J. H. Mathis Company. Subsequent to the death of Robinson and the retirement of Taylor in 1946, Carson became the firm’s president and assumed sole ownership. Prior to World War II, the yard produced two oil barges, one tugboat, and six oil tankers. During World War II, 28 self-propelled oil tankers were built for the U.S. Navy. For excellence in workmanship and its high rate of production, the company received two Army-Navy “E” awards, each with four stars. After the war, the yard returned to commercial work and developed the largest trade in repair of medium size work boats and naval vessels in the Delaware Valley Area. Mary West is the granddaughter of George R. Taylor.
This is a collection of photographs and other materials related to RTC Shipbuilding Co. Subjects of photographs in the collection include: George Taylor and Leroy Robinson; launches, including a launch where Mary West’s mother was the sponsor; “E” award ceremony; ships built by RTC and Mathis; and workers. Other items in the collection include: a plan of plant layout; 1940 newsletter “Maritime Reports Activity”; and a letter and certificate of commendation of George R. Taylor from the Bureau of Ships, Navy Department, 1947.
- RTC Shipbuilding Co. (Camden, N.J.)
- Architectural drawings
- ISM: RTC Shipbuilding Co. records
- RTC Shipbuilding