The Undine Barge Club began operations in 1856, occupying a small frame house along the Schuylkill River which the City of Philadelphia condemned in 1859. Quartered in 14 Boat House Row from 1860 to 1882, the club commissioned Furness and Evans to design Boat House #13, to which they moved in 1883 and still occupy. Undine Barge’s club house is Castle Ringstetten, which is located on Kelly Drive about three miles upriver from the boathouse. Castle Rigstetten was designed by Frank Furness and constructed in 1875.
This collection is scheduled to be arranged and described. Please stay tuned for updated collection information. This is a collection of the papers of the Undine Barge Club. Materials include: logbooks, 1876-1986 (missing years 1911-1913, 1943-1946, and 1980-1985); log summaries, 1894-1935; miscellaneous temporary and substitute logs; minutes of the Undine Barge Club, 1856-1866, 1881-1927, and 1948-1975 (there are other minutes to be found in books labeled Membership and also some sets of loose minutes among paper records); membership ledgers; and a chart of Undine racing entries and victories to 1958. Files relating to Undine and Castle Ringstetten include flag patterns, committee reports, newspaper clippings, minutes, membership, budget material, Ringstetten/Undine visitor’s register, 1876-1917, and a small amount of correspondence, some related to uniforms worn by the crews. Materials related to Castle Ringstetten include logbooks, 1876-1969, recording dinners at the clubs clubhouse. A typical entry includes a list of guests, a menu, and a description of the evening’s events, sometimes accompanied by drawings or cartoons. Financial records include ledgers, cash books, accounts, receipt books, member accounts, and treasurer’s books. Additional materials include: scrapbooks of the Schuylkill Navy, 1873, and Undine, 1922-1950; black and white photos of club members; trophies; a Ringstetten Undine music book; and plaques, ribbons, and lapel pins. Printed materials in the collection include: National Association of Amateur Oarsmen yearbooks, rowing guides, and rule books (1895-1970) (some missing or duplicated); Canadian Association of Amateur Oarsmen regatta rules and record books, 1956-1957; Undine Barge Club charter, by-laws, and memberships 1884-1939 (not complete); The Undine Barge Club of Philadelphia, Supplement 1925-1955; Undine and Sintram; Undine and Other Tales; Rowing by R.A. and R.J. Glendon; Henley Records, 1919-1938; and an 1895 copy of a souvenir book for Roach and Sons shipyard. The collection also includes a small quantity of personal papers of J. F. Carroll, including his passport, honorable discharge, sales contracts, and photographs.
- National Association of Amateur Oarsmen (U.S.)
- Schuylkill Navy
- Rowing clubs–Pennsylvania–Philadelphia
- Ledgers (account books)