The Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, formerly Navy Yard, was the first naval shipyard of the United States. The site’s role as a U.S. Navy facility ended on 30 September 1995. Soon after, the West end of the site became a commercial shipyard, currently called the Aker Philadelphia Shipyard. The Navy still maintains a presence at the location, especially via Naval Surface Warfare Center Ship Systems Engineering Station, and the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility (NIMSF), which continues to store decommissioned and mothballed ships.
This collection is scheduled to be arranged and described. Please stay tuned for updated collection information. A collection of papers, personnel records and memorabilia related to the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. Personnel materials include: employee/telephone directories; employee manuals; instruction manuals for shipriggers, shipfitters, machinists, and welders; trade skills description; glossary of shipbuilding terms; photographs of workers (portraits and candids of people at work and social gatherings); ID badges, stickers, and other ephemera; receipts and notes; and schedules of wages. Other papers and records include: roll of Sparmakers and Boatbuilders, 1873-1881; Foreman’s muster book of boatbuilders, coopers, and blockmakers, 1900-1905; List of vessels ordered, 1918-1920; time study for U.S. Navy shipbuilding, 1900-1910; plans on mylar of Naval Shipyard facilities and shops, 1974; booklet of general plans for USS Cimarron, 1939; an 1862 pamphlet “Navy Yard on the Delaware”; several Navy Day programs between 1914 and 1952; Appreciation Week program, 1983; invitations for launchings; visitors’ register from the office of the Shipyard Commander, 1964-1996; and PNSY letterhead. Apprentice school materials include: timesheets and schedules; commencement programs and certificates; graduation photographs of apprentices; and yearbooks. Printed materials in the collection include: manuals and journals on equipment and trade skills, many published by the Naval Training and Training Support Command; and printed labor agreements between Philadelphia Naval Shipyard and the Metal Trades Council and the Planners, Estimators & Progressmen Association. Photographs in the collection include: images of the shipyard, a number related to the construction of USS Dobbin, circa 1920; other photographs of ship construction from the era of the 1920s; snapshots around the Navy Yard from the 1940s; shots of the drydocks and USS Valley Forge; photographs of the USMC Depot of Supplies, ca. 1940s; a 1981 photograph of the construction of I-95; approximately 150-200 glass lantern slides, circa 1919 and 1940s; and slides of “72 shop” ships, machine shops, workers. Closing Ceremony materials include: 4 copies of a video “Historical Journey of Excellence”; “Philadelphia Quality Process” video; “Meritorious Commendation Award Ceremony” video; the last ship deck log kept at the PNSY, 1996; 1991 photo of shipyard employees; statements on the yard’s closing by members of the “17 Shop”; a program and other materials for the 1996 closing ceremony. Additional items include: strategic planning reports; a 1993 Historic Preservation planning report; and a 1989 microfiche card index of Navy publications and forms.
- Philadelphia Naval Shipyard (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Architectural drawings
- Lantern slides
- Manuals (Instructional materials)
- Registers (lists)
- Ships plans
- Slides (Photographs)
- Video recordings
- UNC: Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Records, 1832-1877, Collection Number 45
- Philadelphia Naval Shipyard
- ?Philadelphia Docks and Wharves