George Taulane (1833-1899) was a sailmaker. He bought the sail making business, located at Delaware Ave. and Spruce Street, after his former employer died in 1854. When he died in 1899, his sons Lewis Baptiste and Edward G. Taulane took over the business and changed its name to George Taulane’s Sons Manufactures. Around 1910 the business moved to Front and Delancey Streets and then sometime later it moved again to its final location at 324 South Front Street. Edward Taulane died in 1948, at which time the business was sold to another firm.
This collection consists of three large volumes of plans for sails made by the Taulane sail loft. The volumes contain pencil and blueprint drafts and plans of sails as well as reference and field notes, sketches, and clippings from publications. Many pages show the prick marks of dividers used to transfer dimensions from a scale ruler. The drafts are at a scale of one inch to ten feet. Included are sail plans for 2- and 3-masted schooners, brigs, and barques. The volumes have been indexed and most of the plans have been at least tentatively identified. The collection also includes a small scale ruler.
- Schematic drawings