The Pusey and Jones Corporation was a major ship and equipment manufacturer from 1846 to 1959. Ship building was the primary focus from 1853 until the end of World War II, when the company converted the shipyard to production of paper manufacturing machinery. During the operation of the shipyard over 500 ships were produced ranging from large cargo vessels, to small warships and yachts, including “Volunteer” the winner of the 1887 America’s Cup. The company began in 1848, with the partnership between Joshua L. Pusey and John Jones in the operation of a machine shop in space rented from a whaling company in Wilmington, Delaware. The shipyard was located between the Christina River and the main line of the Pennsylvania Rail Road. In 1851 Edward Betts and Joshua Seal, who were operating an iron foundry in Wilmington purchased an interest in the business, and the name of the company then became Betts, Pusey, Jones & Seal.
This is a collection of papers of Pusey and Jones. Materials in the collection include: photographs and/or specifications for hulls #82-323 (not complete); survey of vessels, 1910-1921, listing ships by type, with valuation of vessels when first built and present valuation; preliminary specifications for twin screw and paddlewheel steamers; miscellaneous articles, memos, and technical specifications for WWI-era ships; and two illustrated catalogues of iron and steel ships produced by Pusey and Jones, early 1900s. The collection also includes engineering logs of H.H. Thayer Jr., 1894-1908. Logs list construction specifications and data, weight summaries, notes on engine performance,and information on materials, displacement, and other naval engineering topics.
- ISM: H.H. Thayer (this contains H.H. Thayer engineering logs)
- Pusey & Jones Corporation, Wilmington, Delaware