The U.S. Arsenal (known after 1860 as the Schuylkill Arsenal) was constructed in Philadelphia 1800. It began as a warehouse for ammunition and other military supplies used by the United States armed services. It was the third such federal facility in the young nation. It outfitted the Lewis and Clark Expedition in 1803 and supplied arms for the War of 1812. After that war, the U.S. Arsenal ceased to be the main storehouse for ammunition and arms, that branch of supplies being transferred to the Frankford Arsenal. In 1818, the U.S. Arsenal gave up its distribution of arms altogether to dedicate itself to manufacturing, storing and distributing clothing and textile materials. The original site of the arsenal at Grays Ferry Avenue and Washington Avenue was closed and razed in 1963. Other names by which the arsenal was known during its history are the Philadelphia Depot of the Quartermaster’s Department and the Philadelphia Quartermaster’s Intermediate Depot.
This is an account book of the U.S. Arsenal containing a detailed listing of receipts and disbursements for armed services including the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps for the period 1804-1817. Notable entries include supplies for the frigate Guerriere, numerous mentions of the gun ship Franklin, cannisters for the Prometheus, and a mention of Commodore Rodgers. A number of entries are for supplies received from George Harrison, Navy agent.
- Military supplies
- Account books
- Military records
- Franklin, Ship [is this the same one?]