Harlan & Hollingsworth Co., of Wilmington, Delaware, was the first firm in the United States to combine the shipyard and the foundry. Mahlon Betts and Samuel Pusey began partnership in 1836 as Betts and Pusey, with Samuel Harlan joining a year later to form Betts, Pusey & Harlan. When Pusey retired in 1841, his interest in the company was purchased by Harlan’s brother-in-law, Elijah Hollingsworth and the firm name was changed to Betts, Harlan & Hollingsworth. It changed to Harlan & Hollingsworth in 1849. In 1867 the firm was incorporated under the name The Harlan & Hollingsworth Company. On December 10, 1904, the company was acquired by Bethlehem Steel and operated as part of their shipbuilding division. The name changed from Harlan & Hollingsworth to the Harlan Plant of Bethlehem Steel. The shipyard closed in 1926, although it was reopened for a time during the Second World War and part of the shipyard was used by the Dravo Corporation until 1964. Railcars were built on the site until 1940, and parts for railcars until 1944.
This is a collection of records of the Harlan Plant of Bethlehem Shipbuilding. Materials include: tonnage statements (listing ships that have been delivered, with their hull numbers and dimensions); list of vessels with the Dahl oil burning system; news releases and telegrams related to Bethlehem Steel workers’ purchase of war bonds, 1942; and a letter regarding improper loading of rail cars, 1947. The collection also contains newspaper clippings about the Harlan Plant and Bethlehem Steel/Bethlehem Shipbuilding, 1922-1926, 1931. Clippings relate to construction contracts, safety issues for workers, a 1923 fire in which ship patterns were lost, and a lawsuit between Bethlehem Steel and the U.S. government related to payment for patents. Other materials in the collection include: aerial photos of the Harlan plant; photo of Bangor (later called Scourge) built by Harlan & Hollingsworth; and plans of the Wilmington Yard of Bethlehem Steel (Harlan yard), 1942.
- Bethlehem Steel Corporation
- Harlan & Hollingsworth