American International Shipbuilding Corporation

American International Shipbuilding Corporation Hog Island photographs, 1917–1918.
2 boxes (0.75 linear feet).
About American International Shipbuilding Corporation

American International Shipbuilding Corporation was established in 1916 on Hog Island, at the downstream limit of the City of Philadelphia. It was designed to be an assembly facility, with up to 80% of each hull being prefabricated elsewhere. It occupied over 900 acres and had 50 building ways. After the war, it was closed and liquidated, the Corps of Engineers filled in the creek that made Hog Island an island and in 1925 it became an Air Force facility. It is now occupied by Philadelphia International Airport and you can no longer see any trace of the yard from the air.

About the collection

This is a collection of 8 x 10 original black and white photographs and some reproduction photographs and 8 x 10 negatives. The images depict the operations at shops of the American International Shipbuilding Corporation in 1917 and 1918. A few of the photographs are undated, but appear to come from the same time period. John L. Mahoney was the photographer.

Subjects
  • Shipbuilding — Pennsylvania–Philadelphia
  • American International Shipbuilding Corporation
  • Shipyards
Types of material
  • Negatives (Photographic)
  • Photographs
Reference files
  • American International Shipbuilding Corporation
  • Hog Island
This entry was posted in Large Vessel Builders, Photo-rich Collections, Shipbuilding and Shipyards. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply