Todd Pacific Shipyards Corporation was founded in 1916 as the William H. Todd Corporation through the merger of Robins Dry Dock and Repair Company of Erie Basin, Brooklyn, New York, the Tietjen and Long Dry Dock Company of Hoboken, New Jersey, and the Seattle Construction and Dry Dock Company. The Seattle shipyard could trace its history back to 1882, when Robert Moran opened a marine repair shop at Yesler’s Wharf. This shop became the Moran Brothers Shipyard in 1906 and the Seattle Construction and Dry Dock Company at the end of 1911.
The tanker Fort Caspar was built in 1945 by Sun Shipbuilding for the U.S. Maritime Commission. In 1962, the ship was rebuilt as a self-unloader by Todd Shipyards Corporation. The rebuilt vessel was renamed Inger. It was owned by Reynolds Metals Co. of Corpus Christi, Texas. The ship was scrapped in 1995.
Photo album of bulk carrier Inger converted (“jumboized”) by Todd Shipyard Corporation. The conversions were designed and engineered by J.J. Henry Co, Inc. The completed Inger and her sister ship Walter Rice were prototype self-unloading bulk carriers that transported alumina and sugar under the United States flag. 13 photos of Inger during and after her conversion.
- Inger (Ship)
- Shipbuilding–New Jersey
- Photograph albums