William Cummings and Son were shipping merchants in Philadelphia. William Cummings (b. 1806) went into business with his uncle (also named William Cummings) in 1826. In 1830 he went into business for himself. He owned several schooners, brigs, barques, and ships, including the ship William Cummings. Some time before 1864, Cummings’ son, Norris S. Cummings, joined the business. Over its history, the firm operated out of various locations near the Delaware River, including South Delaware Avenue, Walnut Street, and Dock Street. The firm was in operation until at least 1880.
This collection consists of a receipt book and a logbook. The receipt book, of the firm of William Cummings and Son, shipping merchants of Philadelphia, lists amounts paid for crew wages, pilotage, wharfage, labor and supplies. The ships William Cummings and Ann Elizabeth are mentioned frequently. The logbook is a record of a voyage of the ship William Cummings from Callao, Peru to Calcutta, India to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Most entries list winds, weather, courses, and remarks on unusual occurrences, such as punishments of crew. Also includes harbor logs while in Callao and Calcutta, and a list of stores received at Calcutta. The volume was later (1872) used by Helen Norris Cummings as a “scrap book” with original stories and sketches.
- Ships — Cargo
- Ships — Equipment and supplies
- Shipping — Accounting
- William Cummings (Ship)
- Ann Elizabeth (Bark)
- Receipts (financial records)
- Ships’ logs